|Fast Fixes For Busy Days|
If you’re trying to succeed on a fat loss diet plan, one thing that you must be preparing and planning for is those days where you just can’t seem to make time. The thought of cooking a meal in itself is almost too much too handle as you’re stressed out trying to fit in everything that you need to be doing.
Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be this way. By taking into account a few fast fixes, you can easily maintain your diet even on the busiest of days.
Let’s look at some quick suggestions to get you going.
Canned Tuna With Frozen Vegetables
The very first meal on the go is simply to open up a can of tuna, add some salsa, and then add in whatever frozen vegetables you happen to have on hand. It’s a good idea to keep some frozen vegetables in the freezer as these can literally be ready in seconds and will make sure you get the nutrition that you need.
Place this all in the microwave for a couple minutes or in the oven if you prefer.
Oatmeal And Protein Powder
Next, if it’s your breakfast meal that you’re in a rush for, go in for some oatmeal and protein powder. Simply prepare the oatmeal according to package directions which should only take 2-3 minutes and then stir in your favorite flavor of protein powder.
Top with some berries and nuts for healthy fats and you’ll be all set to get your day started.
Finally you might also want to consider creating your own soup. This can be done quickly and easily by simply heating up some low sodium chicken broth, adding some frozen shrimp and then tossing in some fresh or frozen vegetables along with some minute brown rice for carbohydrates.
Soup is especially filling and a fantastic way to boost your nutrient intake as well, so you’ll definitely want to make sure that you’re taking this one into consideration.
So there you have some quick and simple meals that you should consider utilizing on your busiest of days. Whatever you do, just don’t turn to fast food or convenience food. With just a slight amount of preparation, you can easily eat well and stick to your diet.
Jeff McDaniel, BS, CPT
FASTFIT FEATURED RECIPE
Spicy Bean Salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced jalapeno peppers
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Recipe makes 4 cups Directions
- In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with Italian-style salad dressing and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
- Calories155 kcal8%
- Carbohydrates20.4 g7%
- Cholesterol0 mg0%
- Fat6.4 g10%
- Fiber4.4 g18%
- Protein5 g10%
- Sodium949 mg38%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
A Post For Busy Moms Who Want to Get Fit & Stay Fit by Little Rock Personal Trainer Jeff McDaniel, BS, CPT
If you're a mom, you're busy. Whether you stay home fulltime, hold down an outside job, home-school your children or volunteer in your community, you've got a lot on your plate. What makes being a mom tricky is that you are never "off duty." It doesn't matter if it's morning or night or wheterh you are sick o well: you'l 'on call.' Your children need you and you are their biggest cheerleader.
However, in the midst of all the business, it is easy to forget to take care of you. Your reflex action is toput your children's needs before your own. What this means for many moms is a perpetual state of being tired, stressed out and unable to find the time, entergy or motivation for exercise.
Have you ever stopped to think, though, what kind of example you are setting for your children?
It is easy to forget that children are watching you, and you are their role model and they will mimic many of your habits and priorities. In fact, you don't even have to work hard to cause your children to model: it just happens.
If fitness and taking care of yourself is low on your list of priorities, your children will probably grow up not valuing fitness either. They will see you stressed out and tired, and they will likely conclude that there is no room in a normal life for fitness.
The solution is to begin making changes in your priorities so that health and fitness are high on the list, and then rearrange your schedule to accomodate these new priorities. After all, no matter how much you say you value health and fitness, it is your actions that tell the tale to your children. Your biggest challenge may be to "walk the talk."
What is the advantage of doing the hard work to live as though fitness and health are important? The advantage is two-fold: not only will you be healthier, but you will be equipping your children to live a life of fitness as well. Having seen it modeled for them in their own home, your children will find it much easier to fitness a priority for the entirety of their lives. Everyone wins.
Success Tips For Busy Moms
So the million dollar question is, "How?" How in the world does a busy find room for fitness in her schedule?
There are several things you can try as you build new habits. Read through the following tips and get ready to make a fresh start living a life of fitness for you and for your children.
- Plan. Without a plan, fitness simply is not going to happen. Pick a time in your schedule to go to the gym, or (insert link)work out at home if it is a "home workout day". Write it in your calendar, set a reminder on your phone and don't let anything keep you from keeping that appointment.
- Involve Your Children. If you find it hard to get away from the kids, exercise with them! Swim, run or take them to the gym with you for a fun afternoon. Involving them in workouts is a great way to instill in them the importance of working out.
- Find Friends to Workout With You. One of the best ways to stay committed to your workout plans is to get some accountability. Trade workout journals, workout together, and keep each other motivated!
- Be Kind to Yourself. Look, there are going to be some days when the chaos starts before your feet hit the floor in the mornings. When that happens, let it go. Don't beat yourself up and give up. Just pick it back up the next day and move forward.
Workout Resources for Busy Moms
There are plenty of efficient & effective workout solutions available. Busy moms just need to chose the one that best suits them.
- FastFit Busy Mom Makeover. Get into our 21 Day Busy Mom Fitness Program that will provide daily workout routines, a registered dietician-approved nutrition system that WORKS, and a guaranteed-success Support System of other moms JUST LIKE YOU who have the same goals and desires to move better, feel better, and look better. Click HERE To Get A Spot
- FastFit Workout Automator. This is our online, workout-at-home solution. Get the same workouts we do here at FastFit, but formatted for you to do at home. Workout Automator
- Fit Yummy Mummy Transformation Kit. This is a DVD program that my friend, Busy Mom Fat Loss expert, Holly Rigsby offers. The workouts are only 15 minutes but they produce amazing results! Click HERE
- Remember, living a fit lifestyle is not just about you. It's about your children. Do it for you, and do it for them!
|Cooking Tools You'll Want In Your Kitchen|
As you go about your fat loss diet plan, one thing that you should be thinking about are the cooking tools that could help you make your job easier and help you reduce the fat and calories needed in your meals. If you aren’t using good cooking techniques, this can easily ruin an otherwise perfectly healthy dish, so it’s really something that you must be considering.
Let’s look at a few of the top tools to get into your arsenal.
An Oil Brush
First, pick up an oil brush. These are great for brushing oil onto the foods that you’re preparing for cooking or for simply lining a baking sheet or pan with oil as well.
You’ll often use far less using this technique than if you just drizzle it on, so it can really help with cutting back on your total calorie intake for that meal.
Next, a streamer is a great cooking tool on hand because it’ll allow you to prepare your foods without the addition of any fats, oils, or sauces.
This keeps the calories down and if all you use is fresh herbs and spices, you are pretty much getting your foods in their most natural state.
Steaming food is also very quick and easy and often retains the nutrients in the foods far better than other cooking methods.
A Small Grill
A small grill is the next must-have for the healthy chef you know. This small grill can easily be used to whip up some chicken breasts, vegetables, seafood, or beef and won’t require you turning on the oven. For those very warm days when you definitely don’t want the oven going, this can be a Godsend.
A Food Scale
Finally, the last item that you will definitely want to have on hand in your kitchen is a food scale. A food scale is going to help you make sure you keep your serving sizes in check and is one of the best ways to ensure accurate calorie counting.
Especially when it comes to protein servings, it’s not always so easy to just eyeball and estimate what you’re getting, so a food scale can make this far easier.
So there you have four great kitchen tools to consider adding into your kitchen. With these, you will be able to create very low fat and healthy meals just as you want to see optimal progress.
|Workout Tools Worth Considering|
As technology continues to grow and grow, we are seeing new tools and devices come out onto the market that will help you take your workout and fitness goals one step further. While none of them are technically required and not all of them are really even all that beneficial, most do tend to offer some benefits that shouldn’t go overlooked.
Let’s walk you through some of the top workout tools that you might want to consider as you go about your coming sessions.
A Calorie Tracker/Pedometer
The first tool that can be helpful are the new pedometers that also double as a calorie counter out now. Since you must burn up more calories than you take in on a daily basis if you want to lose body fat, this tool can make getting that done much easier.
Since it’s all guesswork how many calories you burn, this device can help give you a more reasonable estimate thus increasing the chances that you are right on target.
It can also be very motivating for some people to see their step count going up over the course of the day along with their calorie burn so this could get you up and moving around better as well.
A Workout Tracker App
The next thing that you’ll want to consider is a workout tracker application. These can be a great way to keep tabs on how many sets, reps, and how much weight you’re lifting. Not many people sport a workout book and pencil any more as they go about their workouts, but your phone is likely on you for music purposes.
Now you can use it to track those sessions as well. Some of these apps will also provide full stats and charts about how you’re progressing, so that’s an added benefit to using them.
A Heart Rate Monitor
Finally, consider getting a heart rate monitor. When it comes to your cardio training, these can help to ensure that you are right on track with where you need to be and working in your target zone.
Sometimes it’s not completely accurate to just go by feel, so these can go a long way towards improving your results.
So keep these workout tools in mind and consider investing in them yourself, or putting them on your Christmas wish list.
Millet Breakfast Cereal
- 3 cups shredded pumpkin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups rice milk
- 1 cup millet
- 1 tablespoon butter, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt to taste
Recipe makes 6 servings Directions
- Place pumpkin, water, rice milk, and millet in a slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook on Low until creamy, 4 to 5 hours. Stir butter and salt into cereal before serving.
- Calories – 201kcal – 10%
- Carbohydrates – 36g – 12%
- Cholesterol – 5mg – 2%
- Fat – 4.1g – 6%
- Fiber – 3.8g – 15%
- Protein – 5.1g – 10%
- Sodium – 111mg – 4%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.